Sunday, October 5, 2008

The B word

It's been quite a fun week. On Monday I went to see Dr. Leavitt for a normal 2 week check up. I had been having contractions all day, so he checked me and he said that baby's head was WAY down there (which would explain why it's so hard for me to walk/sit/stand lately), but I was not dilated. Good.
I started having very intense contractions on Tuesday morning about every 2-5 minutes. Not good. Justin had worked all night and when I called him at 10 am to tell him we had a problem I think he was going on about 2 1/2 hours of sleep. We got our bag packed and headed up to EIRMC.
I got all hooked up to the monitors and was answering all the fun labor questions and telling the nurse my symptoms. She looked at the monitor after about 10 min and matter of factly told me that I was NOT in labor and that if my uterus had indeed ruptured that I would be double over in pain and vomiting. I wanted to vomit on her shoes. Then she left and I was super mad at her and I cried.
Dr. Leavitt ordered an ultra sound to check my uterus and all was well. There is plenty of fluid around the baby and my uterus is stunning. :) Aidan was handling all the excitement like a champ, he was yawning during the ultra sound. Funny boy already.
So I got back to my room and Dr. Leavitt checked me and lo and behold I was dilated to a 2 and 70% effaced. Holy crap! Stupid nurse, take that! I was in active labor. Dr. Leavitt decided to give me magnesium to stop the labor. For those of you that don't know what this is, it is horrible!!! I was on it with Lexi too, so as soon as he said that, here came the tears again. We spent the night tossing and turning, with the nurse coming in every hour to take my vitals... ugh. I was still having contractions that were super strong, but they had slowed to about every 10 minutes.
He came back in the morning and turned of the horrible meds and checked me again. Still a 2. Sweet. If I stayed stable all day I could go home around 5. Justin and I were out of there by 5:15. The one condition he gave me before letting me go was.... the B word. BED REST!
So, now I am on my 4th day of bed rest, and the kids have been out of school and home for 4 days and I'm SO over this!!! I am still having contractions, and I go see him again on Tuesday, at which point I'm sure he will check me... hopefully I will still be at a 2, but the last time I saw him he said he would be surprised if we made it another week.
Justin and I will keep you posted!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Summer, be good and stay down! This little guy needs to ripen up a bit. Can the girls come play this week?? Let me help!

Sam and Ash said...

WOW!!!! You sit down!!! :> Are you still having the shower? Hang in there and just relax - I would offer a massage, but that tends to START labor! :> Maybe after?