Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sunday Bloody Sunday

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS IMAGES OF A GRAPHIC NATURE. PARENTAL GUIDANCE SUGGESTED.


So there I was......trying to finish out my work week without getting into anything real serious. In my line of work you generally don't want to get into anything "complicated" a couple of hours away from your weekend. So I was doing my best to avoid that situation. (And contrary to what Summer might think I was not sitting under a big willow tree eating jerkey and drinking a "Dew"...................it was grape PowerAde.) Anyways, Summer and the girls were at church and would be getting out shortly and I was headed back to the office from Shelley to finish up some reports before going home.

So I was cruising right along when my phone rang. I looked at the number and didn't recognize it but answered anyway. On the other end was a man who in a slightly hurried and excited tone said, "Justin this is ******, your one daughter smashed her finger in the door, your other daughter passed out and your wife is having contractions............we need you to come to the church as soon as you can!"


"Okay....." I said. "What happ........." but before I could finish he hung up.

At this moment I realized that my peaceful Sunday afternoon may have turned seriously un peaceful and my first thoughts after he hung up (in no particular order) were:

  • Does my wife need an ambulance?

  • Does my unconcious daughter need an ambulance?

  • Which daughter is unconcious?

  • Why is my daughter unconcious?

  • Does my other daughter need to get to the hospital for her finger?

  • Did I just drop a piece of jerkey in my grape PowerAde?


As I start to head towards the church I realize that I need to know what is going on. I need to know how serious the situation is so that I can either get an ambulance on the way or just get there as soon as possible without running anybody over. So I picked up my phone and called the number back. Nothing. No answer. At this point I am just about ready to have my dispatch get an ambulance on the way until I know for sure what is going on when my phone rang. It was the same number. The voice on the other end said, "Justin everyone is okay, we're up here in the clerk's office with your wife and both girls and everyone is okay. Don't run over anybody getting here."

"Thanks." I said. And with that breathed a sigh of relief.


When I arrived at the church I snuck in the back doors and made it up to the clerks office. In one corner Summer was sitting in a chair. I asked her if she was okay and she said that she was. Standing next to her was Griffin holding her finger in a bloody paper towel. Once she saw me she just started sobbing big alligator tears and fell into my arms. While holding her I looked around the door to the other side of the room and saw Lexi sitting in a chair. She was about as white as a ghost and apparently was just "coming around." The bishop and a few other members were also there tending to the fam.


Once I made sure that nobody needed to go to the hospital I began to learn the details of how this quiet Sabbath had turned into "Sunday, Bloody Sunday."



Griffin was helping her primary class clean up after the lesson when somehow she got her left ring finger caught in her fold up chair. Somehow it pinched it and smashed it. Pulling it out she ended up tearing off her fingernail and some skin around it.

As you can see she did a pretty good job of it.

Griffin's teachers managed to get it wrapped up in a tissue and took her to where Summer was in senior primary. Summer upon hearing and seeing Griffin crying hysterically hurried her into the hallway to see what had happened. Lexi, being the good caring sister that she is, naturally wanted to see what was going on and upon seeing Griffin's finger and all of the blood apparently became ill. She told Summer that she needed to go get a drink and while walking to the drinking fountain just collapsed. Out cold. Middle of the hallway.

Luckily Summer is always really calm and cool in these kind of situations.......................so of course she begins to freak out and begins to have small contractions. So now we have a full blown Dance family drama takeover. Summer is having contractions, Griffin is screaming and bleeding all over the place and Lexi is unconcious in the middle of the hallway and I'm no where around.

Fortunately we have an awesome ward and bishopric. They did a fantastic job of caring for my family in my absence and I am truly grateful for them. By the time I got there everything was under control. All three of my girls were conscious.........barely, but in good shape and we were able to get everyone home safe and sound.

Now, two days later the girls continue to recooperate and have given me the "okay" to blog about our latest mis-adventure. Summer is doing great, little Aiden is growing and apparently practices his MMA (mixed martial arts) on a daily basis. Lexi is back "with it" and has decided to change her career path from doctor to fashion designer and Griffin walks around with a giant bandage on the finger next to "the bad one." I asked Griffin how she was going to pick her nose now that her finger is all bandaged up and with a serious look she said, "I'm just going to have to use my other hand dad..........DUH!"

Last but not least I want to thank everyone again who cared for my little family for me. I truly appreciate all that you do for us, considering that I am gone alot. It means alot to all of us. Thank you so much!



5 comments:

JC Photography said...

OH my gosh!!! I feel so bad for you guys, but at the same time I was laughing. Justin - you are funny~ even in the face of peril! Griff - I hope your finger feels better. OUCH!!!! Summer & Lex - way to stay calm.
What a day you guys had - sheesh!

Erin said...

Wow - impressive blog Justin! I am so sad I missed the whole thing (just wish I could have helped) :)
Poor Griffin - hope it's feeling better. (Hope it wasn't Nate's fault it happened!)
Glad Lexi is OK- way to be strong Lex!
And Summer - we can always count on you to remain calm!:)
Good thing you were at church where there are lots of people to help with the Dance family crisis!

Megan and Alyvia said...

Holy Moly!!! Glad you guys are all okay! Wow, what a Sunday indeed.
Summer, I swear this would only happen to you!! (; hehe!!
I am glad the little bun in the oven is doing alright and the girls are okay.
I sure miss you guys!!

Sam and Ash said...

Atleast you were in the best place for a crisis! :> I hope everyone is doing better. Poor girls. Are you all ready for the baby? :>

The Sommer Family said...

Hey! Sounds like a busy day. Other than the bloody Sunday I hope all is well. We need to get together for another BBQ soon.